The collection was first housed in New York’s “Old City Hall” until the early 1850s when the collection, then over 4,000 volumes, outgrew its quarters. The Institute was granted space in “New City Hall”, which also housed the state and federal courts and various government offices, by the New York City Common Council.
In 1854, a fire struck New City Hall. The library was able to save most of its collection but 82 volumes were lost along with many donated artifacts and furniture. After the fire, the library received major financial assistance from Charles O’Connor, a prominent New York City attorney. In 1872, by which time the library had grown to over 25,000 volumes, moved to quarters in the new United States Post Office Building located at the southern end of City Hall Park.
Under the leadership of long-time director, William H. Winters, the library continued to grow rapidly. By 1887, the collection had grown to 35,000 volumes, necessitating the expansion of the library from one floor to two. In the subsequent decade, the library continued its steady growth, reaching over 48,000 volumes by 1897.
In 1915, the library relocated to its present home, the 40-story Equitable Building at 120 Broadway. At the time of its move to the Equitable Building, the library held over 99,000 volumes. Today, the New York Law Institute Library has a print collection of over 250,000 volumes, and enters a new era of digital access while maintaining its legacy of current, archival and historical print materials.