Join NYLI: Now Offering 200,000 eBooks!
As the oldest circulating law library in New York City, the New York Law Institute (NYLI) has an impressive collection of current, unique, historical and hard-to-find materials. Membership provides access to significant print resources enhanced by remote access to an array of online databases, including eBooks.
Access to Remote Electronic Resources
Print Book Loans
Professional Research Services
New Member FAQ’s
- Basic Annual Dues
- $63per attorney annually
- Every firm pays a minimum of $1,050 regardless of size or location.
- Basic dues are $63 for each lawyer in the firm, wherever located, with the following minimums, caps, and limitations.
- $63 remains the fee per NYC lawyers
- Small Firms with 20 or fewer lawyers pay $1,050
- Firms outside NYC are charged as follows:
- Small Firms with 20 or fewer lawyers pay $1,050.
- Dues for lawyers outside NYC are $63 per attorney with a cap of $15,750.
- $31,500 remains the maximum fee any firm will pay.
- NYLI employs the latest National Law Journal (NLJ 500) figures & firm websites to calculate dues.
Find out about our Trials!
Benefits of NYLI Membership
These are just some of the benefits of membership with The New York Law Institute. For a complete list, please visit our Services page.
New Member FAQ’s
A.) No, there is no contract or agreement to sign to join NYLI.
Q.) How Is membership billed, is it based on calendar year?
A.) Membership runs from January to December and is based on the National Law Journal 500 statistics. Furthermore:
- Dues are billed in November and are due in January
- Dues pricing is based on annual June National Law Journal 500 report
- Those joining mid year can have their dues pro-rated
- Members may request annual, semi-annual, or quarterly billing
- NYLI accepts ACH payment
Q.) Are there any other charges?
A.) Members are charged for copies, overdue books, messenger and FedEx delivery, OCLC fees, and librarian research time . Rate schedule can be found on our website here.
Q.) What’s the best way to reach you with questions?
Q.) What hours are you open to answer questions?
A.) We are open from 9am to 5pm Eastern Monday – Friday while e-books and databases are available to members 24/7. NYLI closings and holiday schedule can be found here.
Q.) How are these other charges billed?
A.) We bill for copies and research requests monthly. Bills usually go out via e-mail on the first business day of the new month to the individual you designate. And if you provide us with a client matter number, we will include that on the invoice.