Join NYLI: Now Offering 200,000 eBooks!
As the oldest circulating law library in New York City, the New York Law Institute (NYLI) has an impressive collection of current, unique, historical and hard-to-find materials. Membership provides access to significant print resources enhanced by remote access to an array of online databases, including eBooks.
Access to Remote Electronic Resources
Print Book Loans
Professional Research Services
New Member FAQ’s
- Annual Dues 2023
- Every firm pays a minimum of $1,050 regardless of size or location.
- Solo Practitioners and Firms with fewer than 20 attorneys – pay $1,050
- NYC Firms -Basic dues are $63 for each lawyer in the firm, with a minimum of $1,500 and a maximum of $31,500 .
- Outside NYC Firms – are charged $63 per attorney with a cap of $15,750.
- Multiple Location Firms – dues are $63 per NYC attorney with plus $63 per attorney for other locations for a maximum cap of $31,500.
Find out about our Trials!
Benefits of NYLI Membership
These are just some of the benefits of membership with The New York Law Institute. For a complete list, please visit our Services page.
New Member FAQ’s
Q.) Is there a Membership Contract Involved?
A.) No, there is no contract or agreement to sign to join NYLI.
Q.) How Is membership billed, is it based on calendar year?
A.) Membership runs from January to December and is based on the National Law Journal 500 statistics. Furthermore:
- Dues are billed in November and are due in January
- Dues pricing is based on annual June National Law Journal 500 report
- Those joining mid year can have their dues pro-rated
- Members may request annual, semi-annual, or quarterly billing
- NYLI accepts ACH payment
Q.) Are there any other charges?
A.) Members are charged for copies, overdue books, messenger and FedEx delivery, OCLC fees, and librarian research time . Rate schedule can be found on our website here.
Q.) What’s the best way to reach you with questions?
A.) The best way to ask us a question is to e-mail using the form on the NYLI website. You can also e-mail email@example.com with any research or billing inquiry or call 212 732 8720.
Q.) What hours are you open to answer questions?
A.) We are open from 9am to 5pm Eastern Monday – Friday while e-books and databases are available to members 24/7. NYLI closings and holiday schedule can be found here.
Q.) How are these other charges billed?
A.) We bill for copies and research requests monthly. Bills usually go out via e-mail on the first business day of the new month to the individual you designate. And if you provide us with a client matter number, we will include that on the invoice.