Need a copy of a lower court trial decision?
Looking for the original complaint in a case that made it all the way to the Supreme Court?
Do you want to get the actual transcript of a trial?
All of these – and more – may be contained in a set of materials called the “records and briefs.”
Records & Briefs
Access to briefs can give an idea of how exactly a winning case was argued, while the record will often include documents that are not available anywhere else.
The NYLI collection includes records and briefs for several different federal and state courts.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- New York Court of Appeals
- New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division (all departments)
Make a Request:
To request copies of a record or brief, use the Request a Document form, or call us at 212 732 8720. Please be able to provide the case name, official citation, and, if available for New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division cases, the fiche ID.
Our Records & Briefs collection includes…
- 1963 (376 US) to 1999 (530 US)
- 2003 – Present: Available to NYLI staff through Bloomberg Law: (Docket Sheets: Briefs and Exhibits)
- 539 F. 2d (1977) – 930 F. 2d (1996): Microform
- 1997 – Present:Available to NYLI staff through Bloomberg Law: (Docket Sheets: Briefs and Exhibits)
- 23 NY (1863) – 269 NY (1935): Electronic access through LLMC-Digital
- 1 NY2d (1956) – 66 NY2d (1985): Microform*
*67 NY2d (1986) – 82 NY2d (1994): Soon to be available on LLMC, available upon request.
- 261 AD (1941) – 37 AD2d (1971): Currently being digitized, available upon request.
- 38 AD2d (1972) – 99 AD2d (1984): Microform
- 100 AD2d (1984) – December 2014; Microform
Records and briefs are distributed to library collections approximately six months after the decision date for a case.
Online access to some briefs (on a case-by-case basis) for the Supreme Court, the 2nd Circuit, the New York Court of Appeals and the New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division courts may be available through our Bloomberg Law subscription (ask staff).
Selected briefs in cases before the Appellate Division, 2nd Department, starting in 2004, are available from the court website directly.
Starting in December 2011, the New York Law Institute, working in cooperation with the Law Library Microform Consortium (LLMC) and Google is making historical New York Court of Appeals records and briefs available online through LLMC-Digital. Records and briefs for cases decided between 1863 and 1935 are currently available, and coverage is being expanded continuously.